Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Henri Cartier-Bresson, 1962.

Creator: Henri Cartier-Bresson, Title: IRELAND. 1962. Province of Leinster. Kildare County. Seminary at Maynooth., Date: 1962


Although my knowledge of photography is minimal, I have come to know and appreciate the photographs of Henri Cartier-Bresson since my initial exposure to him several years ago. In our first class there was brief discussion about the importance of having a quick eye and instant reflexes as a photographer, in order to capture a certain essence, feeling, moment, etc. From this, I remembered Cartier-Bresson and his talent for doing just that.

The photograph above grabbed my attention while I browsed the results of my ArtSTOR search because 1. it's my first time seeing this particular one, and 2. it's not very often that one gets to see an image of priests disrobing at the foot of Christ in preparation for what I assume will be a fun game of soccer. I also found it interesting that it would be much more difficult to date this photo if not for the contrasting non-priestly attire. The spacing of the subjects, foliage, and other objects is such that they aren't visually crowding each other, and the candidness of the shot makes the image that much more interesting.

1 comment:

  1. It is a very interesting picture. I'm not sure that you can tell if they are disrobing or getting dressed after a game of soccer (football?). This one would definitely be helped by a caption, or others taken at the same time.

    ReplyDelete